Responsible for writing or arranging articles and information about the production, photos where necessary. These typically include the following:
- at least two items in Salt Spring Exchange, with catchy title, brief description, information on venue, dates, price, etc.. One photo can be included in each submission. Should start about a month before opening, to catch peoples’ interest, then remind them of the show. (no cost if not a featured item)
- Driftwood article: the issue about a week before opening night should be an article about the production. This can be written by the publicity person (run it past director or producer), or simply arranged, such as an interview with the director. Good rehearsal photos can be submitted, but may not necessarily be used. (no cost) The issue right before opening night should include an ad for the show, either the poster or something different. Cost item, not inexpensive. Also ensure the designated Driftwood reviewer (Elizabeth Nolan at present) receives one or two comps for the opening weekend, so that a review can be written. Be sure to include pertinent information in the Driftwood calendar as well- “What’s On?” firstname.lastname@example.org
- Marketplace: Comes out every 2 weeks, so contact them for deadline: email@example.com . Will include a free article & photo. Publicity person can write this, get approval from director or producer. Provide a comp if this happens. Push for a cover photo, which they often have done. An ad can also be placed for a fee, which is much less than the FishBowl.
- Posters (cost item). Producer will likely find someone to design the poster. Once printed, assist with posting around town. Typically posters for distribution are put in the Community Theatre box at SS Books and cast or crew members post them around the island. These have traditionally been venues for posters, or mini-posters (ask permission) : ArtSpring (if selling tickets), Apple (if printing poster), Sushi 2 Go, Treasures of the Heart, Ganges Stationery, OMG, Love My Kitchen, TJ Beans, SS Pharmacy, Mondo Trading, SS barbers in Gasoline Alley, Library, Choices, SS Sound, Core Inn, Island Savings, Swimming pool, GISS, Cafe Talia, Stores in Gasooline Alley, Fernwood coffee shop, Fulford ferry, Island Variety Store, and Bulletin Boards at Country Grocer, Barb’s Buns, the Ice cream/Soup business, Visitor Centre, Mahon Hall, Salt Spring Coffee, Nature Works, Salt Spring Books, Moby’s downstairs, near Grace Point liquor store, PARC building, any boards/windows in Fulford, Fernwood. Also print enough to supply cast & crew with a cpy for their vehicles.
- And any other bulletin boards you can find! These venues will likely change each time. For businesses that are up & running, always ask permission.
- Roadside signs: Pegs can be found from previous publicity people. 3 – 5 roadside sings, professionally made with great lettering & painted images to highlight the show. Beside Hydro is good. Central is very windy. By the Golf Course side is also good. Need acrylic paint, fabric paint (paints at SS Books and Island Variety), coroplast (available at Windsor), to do this. And brushes (Island Variety). Give yourself 2 days (minimum) to design, paint, dry, & put up, if you want a reasonably professional product.
- Be prepared to repair roadside signs, replace removed posters, etc.